Re: pine/ssmtp

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Angus Claydon wrote:

> <MTIA>
> <perplexed>  why  does pine  put `To:user@host' instead of `My Name'
> 	     in the `from'  column of my mailbox index
>              when I test post to
>              myself (and presumeably other
>              recipients on receipt of mail )
> </perplexed>

Pine assumes that user knows who he/she is, that the information would not
be very useful and replaces it with the addressee.  This also happens if
you post to a mailing list.

> <note>     using 2.0.34 on i586 arch. pine 3.96 ssmtp2.27-2  this happens
> only for non root users </note>

I hadn't noticed that (I have root aliased to a user).

> <query>    is  the  only way to have `from: user@myhost'
>            instead of `root@myhost'  appearing achieved
> 	    by  running pine as non-root user? Is there a config way
> round this using
>             sendmail smail or exim as MTA instead
>            of ssmtp perhaps?
> </query>
> </MTIA>

I've seen the same behaviour with sendmail, smail and ssmtp.

Bob

----