Re: Netscape

L Brooks wrote:

> How do I install Netscape 4.08 Communicator into Debian 2.0, downloaded
> it from ftp.netscape.com, followed the insructions, but no go, and can
> find no refferences anywhere in debian.com, help.  My registration
> number is 0040840, on the card addressed to Linux Press.
>
> Clive

As root, copy the Communicator file into /tmp; make sure you have another copy, or
you may find the file missing on next reboot (assuming you reboot your machine)
because on Linux the /tmp directory means just that - it holds files temporarily.

Then use dselect and search (/) for netscape4. This is the debian installer for
Netscape 4. It'll find the Communicator file in /tmp and install it. If it has any
problems, I would suspect a corruption in the download process.

BTW, you should be able to install Netscape according to the Netscape install
instructions also, (why you're having trouble could be due to any number of things),
but using the Debian installer is a better way to do it because 1) it's easier, and
2) now your system knows that Netscape has been installed, whereas not using
dselect/dpkg would leave your system "uninformed" that Netscape has been installed.