Re: Problems installing Staroffice

	Subject: Problems installing Staroffice
	Date: Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 03:41:35PM +0000

Quoting Mamoun Alissali(alissali@lium.univ-lemans.fr):
>   Hello again,
>
>   I sent a mail earlier about upgrading from Hamm to Slink, some of the
> problems are now solved (dselect removed the installed packages, the new
> kernel is OK, etc.), but I have new problems. When I try to install
> Starffice I get the following message:
>
> can't find the StarOffice archives in /tmp.  Did you place them
> in a different directory?  Please give me another directory.

Just guessing but it sounds like 'you' have to go get the Star Office
file from the German site and put it into /tmp for the 'install
package' to install it.

> giving the apt archive doesn't work. Any idea or do I have to mail the
> package maintainer?

Ckeck out the Slink Packages file:
Package: staroffice3
Version: 3.1-9

[snip]

Star Office 3.1 is a suite of office productivity applications
 containing the following
  - StarWriter 3.1 (word processor)
  - StarCalc 3.1 (spreadsheet)
  - StarDraw 3.1 (graphics and presentation package)
  - StarImage 3.1 (image manipulation)
  - StarChart 3.1 (bar, pie and other charts)
  - StarMath 3.1 (formula design)
 .
 StarOffice 3.1 makes heavy use of common code in shared libraries,
 therefore using relatively few resources for the level of
 functionality.
 .
 The StarOffice 3.1 binaries can be found in
 ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/staroffice/
 They need to be placed in /tmp or $TMP respectively.
installed-size: 61        <------------------------- IIRC SO is > 20Meg!
source: staroffice3-installer

You have the installer, not the Star Office program.

>   Also Xfree treats my backspace key as 'erase', I can probably
> change that with xmodmap but it doesn't seem like a 'clean' solution to
> me.

It sounds clean to me.

--
"You must realize that the computer has it in for you.  The irrefutable
proof of this is that the computer always does what you tell it to do."