Re: boot problem

Quoting ANShevin@aol.com:

> >boot=/dev/hda1
> >root=/dev/hda1
> >append="ether=10,0x300,eth0 ether=11,0x310,eth1"
> >compact
> >install=/boot/boot.b
> >delay=20
> >map=/boot/map
> >vga=normal
> >image=/vmlinuz
> >        label=Linux
> >        read-only
>
> I would remove the compact option. I never got a kernel to boot with that
> option enabled. Also, try running fsck with the option to check for
> badblocks.
>
> I have a question for you. If this is a linux-only machine, why do you have
> a 20 second delay for the lili prompt?
>
> Avi Shevin
> anshevin@aol.com

Thanks,
I will try both removing the compact and running fsck.  The 20 second delay is
really only 20 tenths of seconds, (2 seconds).  I have left the 2 second delay
in because this is in the default lilo.conf installed with lilo. I also have
left it in because it lets my screen turn on so I can see all the boot
information.

Another observation I have made that I do not understand.  I can change the
boot= option from /dev/hda1 to /dev/hda, rerun lilo and fix my problem until
the next boot fail.  Then I return the option to boot=/dev/hda1, run lilo and
my problem is fixed again.  Simply running lilo but not making this change does
not fix the problem??
--
Bill