boot problem

Hello all,

I seem to be causing myself problems in my boot somewhere.  Sometime after
installing a new kernel and before my next reboot. I do something that breaks
my boot process, (I am not used to uptimes of weeks instead of hours ;-).

I am using slink with lilo for my boot on a dedicated linux, 486, /dev/hda1,
(no dual boot).  What happens is after running for weeks I will decide I need
to reboot my system.  Durring the early boot I only get to LIL_ and the system
hangs.  I then need to boot from a rescue disk and run lilo manually.
Sometimes this does not even help and I just mess with my /etc/lilo.conf until
I get a good boot.

I get the following error when running "mkboot -installkernel"

"Checking for LILO...\nYes, but I couldn't find a LILO signature on /dev/hda1
Check your /etc/lilo.conf, or run /sbin/lilo by hand."

When I run /sbin/lilo I get no error, but even then I am not sure I will get a
good boot.  It seems I need to make some kind of change to lilo.conf and then
rerun lilo to get a good boot.  Weeks later I start this entire process over...

Here is my /etc/lilo.conf with #remarks removed.
  (default with append="ether..." line added).

boot=/dev/hda1
root=/dev/hda1
append="ether=10,0x300,eth0 ether=11,0x310,eth1"
compact
install=/boot/boot.b
delay=20
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only

Could someone give me an idea of what I am doing wrong and/or point me to a FM
that would help.

Thanks,

--
Bill