Re: slackware 4.0

Steve Lamb dixit:

> home I run my Laptop on Debian 2.1, my "main" machine on some portions of
> Potato.  My main machine runs kernel 2.2.1, my laptop 2.0.34.  Functionally,
> they are identical to one another.  I telnet in, I run X aps, no big deal.
> They work.  I really can't tell the difference between the 2.2.1 machine and
> the 2.0.34 machine based on that alone.

It wasn't that long ago (a few months?) that Slackware released 3.6 (2.0.35)
... isn't it two short for a new release?

If it's about getting a distro with the latest kernel release, then it may be
a matter of just downloading it from kernel.org and compiling it ... what am I
missing anything here?

Else, taking time for a distribution to solidly be built around a new kernel
version is the other choice.

*(actually, I'm asking here, not stating anything at all)*

>     Sure, for the "latest and greatest" jockies, Slackware will beat Debian.
> For people who live in the real world and use their machines as more than
> power toys and status symbols, I don't think so.

Sorry to disagree here, but that sounds more like an argument for windoze vs
debian (or any other linux), rather than debian vs slackware.

Horacio.

--
Claves - GnuPG/PGP - Keys : http://www.rediris.es/cert/keyserver
o/or