Problems with new ppp package from potato

I just upgraded ppp and ppp-pam to version 2.3.6-1 that is in
potato and noticed a couple of oddities.

First of all, with the new version I am unable to execute the
command 'pon' as a regular user, even though I am a member of
the dip group.  Here is the error message it gives:
/usr/sbin/pppd: Can't open options file /etc/ppp/peers/provider: Permission denied
AFAICT, the permissions on all the directories and files are the
same as they were on the previous version.

Also, in /etc/ppp/ip-up I have the line
/usr/bin/fetchmail -d 60
and in /etc/ppp/ip-down I have the line
/usr/bin/fetchmail --quit
When I type 'poff', the fetchmail process is not killed. I do
know that /etc/ppp/ip-down is getting run, because I touched a
file from that same script and it was created.

Both of these problems disappear if I install the old version
from slink (2.3.5-2).

Any ideas on either of these?

James