CD-R/RW Question

I'm looking at purchasing a cd-r /cd-rw in the near future, and was looking for some advice as to what to purchase.  My main linux box has both ide and scsi in it, so I can go either way.  I was wondering if there were advantages to going either with scsi or ide.  I'm looking more at ease of operating and installing under linux, not the inherent advantages/disadvantages of ide vs scsi.

Also, does linux handle the cd-rw's?  If so, are they worth the extra money to get?

TIA,

chris