X11

I have just installed Debian Linux 2.1 from scratch.  Everything is working
properly except X11.  I am currently using a Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM
graphics adapter.  My problem is as follows:

When Linux boots up xdm is automatically started (which is fine).  The GUI
login screen appears.  When I login in as root or any other user X11 seems
to try to start but then flickers and returns to the login screen.  If any
one knows how to correct this I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Kevin Lee
Vulcan Industries
(205) 640-2433