Compaq ESS1887 sound and Linux?

Am getting ready to reinstall onto my shiny empty 6G drive in a Compaq
Presario 4840, and would like to avoid the only problem I had last time -
the sound wouldn't work. No playing CD's :-( It auto-recognized the ATI Rage
Pro AGP, the Compaq DVD, everything, but the sound didn't function at all,
only the PC-speaker.

I tried configuring a custom kernel with SB16 - nothing. Tried using the ESS
driver instead - nothing. No errors, just doesn't work.

If anyone's had this work, I'd appreciate tips/pointers. I'll be installing
the latest dfloppy version, then re-kerneling with 2.2.4 when done... (Will
also be re-reading the How-To on sound today at work if I get time, but am
eager to re-load since Win95 is wearing down my patience!)