Re: Printer config: still not there

Hi!

I'm having similar problems (ok, perhaps the similarities are just that
I to am having printing problems).

* Carl Fink <carlf@panix.com>:
> /etc/printcap refers to the generic dot matrix printer and printing
> stairsteps off the edge of the page in two lines.  No problem -- I

I guess I'll try this pretty soon.

> have the printcap from my previous system archived, and that had the

And I have one for my HP OfficeJet, (really a DeskJet with a scanner
on top of it).

> Copy that over the generic printcap, kill and restart lpd and *lpd
> refuses to start*.  That is, it (apparently) exits instantly on any
> attempt to start it, without error messages to the console (even with
> the -F flag) and without putting any messages in any system logs.

Now that's not what my lpd does. lpq just says "Queue: no printable
jobs in queue" no matter what I try to print with lpr, so I guess it just
discards whatever I send to it.

> Is anyone working on a user-friendly printer setup program for Linux?
> I might volunteer for such a project.

RedHat has a really nice program callied printtool in its Control panel.
I don't know how free it is but it did a great job of setting up my
printer when I used the lpd etc. that came with RedHat 5.2.

If I su to root and cat something to /dev/lp0 it goes to my printer
but with the famous stairstep effects...
This is the entry I have in my /etc/printcap

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL cdj550 300x300 a4 {} DeskJet550 3 1
lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\