Re: Problems installing Debian on a 486

	Subject: RE: Problems installing Debian on a 486
	Date: Wed, Mar 24, 1999 at 11:43:47AM +1200

Quoting Matthew Gregan(kinetik@pop.ihug.co.nz):
> At 15:03 1999-03-23 -0800, Alan Bailward wrote:
> >> other machine, it brings up the boot: prompt, and then starts to load the
> >> root FS from root.bin.. After loading for a while it fails with the message
> >> "A20 gate not responding!"...
> >[snip]
> >> The problem machine is a 486DX33 with 8MB of RAM, if you need more info
> >> about the hardware, please let me know.
> >
> >Could it be that the kernel on the rescue disk was compiled for 586+?  Could
> >that be causing it?  I'm grasping I know, but... :)
>
> These are the rescue disks from the debian-slink disk-i386 dir... I'm
> pretty sure they're not using a kernel for 586+ architecture...
>
> I should also mention that someone suggested I try the tecra rescue disk. I
> did that, and had no luck... I get the same message, so now I'm really
> stumped, having read the readme for the tecra disk I would have though
> that'd fix the problem.
>
> Thanks again...
>
> --
> Matthew Gregan                                kinetik@ihug.co.nz

Just had a light bulb go on.  I may be out in left field but I seem to
remember a bios option for the A20 gate in my old 486DX50.  You might
give that a look.

HTH
--
"... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of