Re: Sound Board

Petru NOTINGHER wrote:

>   ------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Subject: Re: Sound Board
> Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 16:44:34 +0100
> From: Petru NOTINGHER <petru@univ-montp2.fr>
> To: ANShevin@aol.com
>
> ANShevin@aol.com wrote:
>
> > What sound driver are you using? OSS  (comes with kernel) or ALSA?
>
> I'm using OSS. What's ALSA ? Is that the manufacturer's driver ?

	ALSA = Advanced Linux Sound Architexture.  Take a look at
"http://alsa.jcu.cz/intro.html";.  ALSA will become a replacement
for OSS in the future at some point.

> > Also, do
> > you have sound compiled in, or as module? Kernel version would help too.
>
> I tried both, but none worked. Now I'm using the compiled version.
> I tried on 2.00.36 and now on 2.2.1.

	With 2.2, the config of sound drivers occurs outside the kernel
config.  You can no longer build the sound modules into the
kernel, they must be built as modules.  With sb16, for example I
need a config line like:

	options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330

in /etc/modules.conf.
	The above doesn't apply to 2.0 kernels, so your problem might not
be related to configuration of the sound module. If you are using
a 2.2 kernel then see /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Introduction.

--
Ed C.