Adaptec AIC7770 error during install

Hi,
    Just chiming in w/ a newbie question. I have an
Intergraph TD-3 (90Mhz) with 56Mb RAM and 2 \1Gb
SCSI-2 drives on an Adaptec AIC 7770 onboard. I'm
trying to install Linux on it and have only been able
to install w/ Caldera 1.2 so far but would like
instead Debian 2.1 (or 2.2). This is the problem.
    When installing Debian or Redhat on this box when
booting from an installation boot disk everything
runs fine until it tries to reset my SCSI bus. Then I
get the message (for Debian, Redhat's is the same
flavor),

aic7xxx:(aic7xxx_isr) encountered spurious interrupt.
scsi0: BRKARINT error(0x1).
   illegal host access.
Kernel panic: scsi0: BRKARINT, error 0x1, seqaddr 0x0.

     I've tried to insert the boot aurgument:
                 aic7xxx=1 (for no_reset)

to try to get initial boot going w/o kernel panic but
the init.rd or root.bin refuses to accept this
aurguement during the boot.
     Could the kind debian-user group please give me
some input as to how to alleviate this problem so I
can  configure this system to run my faorite flavor
of Linux (Debian)? I've been able to install Caldera
on it but would prefer Debian.
     Details of install:
1.) I'm installing from harddisk w/ the entire stable
R2.1 directory downloaded via FTP. (I have a cable
modem which facilitates this. I think I'll break down
and get the CD from Borders this eve.)
2.) The machine is an Intergraph TD-3 (90Mhz) w/ 56Mb
EDO RAM, onboard AMD 79C960 PC-NET ethernet adapter,
onboard Adaptec AIC7770 dual channel SCSI adapter,
and Diamond Viper (via Intergraph) 2Mb PCI video card.

   This is a VERY proprietary system but it should
make an excellent box for running Debian (especially
after I upgrade the processor to an Evergreen 266Mhz
overdrive and bump up the RAM so I can run VMWARE.

                                    Thank you!
                                     exxcomm
                              exxcomm@rocketmail.com