help -- missing shared library libncurses.so.4

Hi,

I've been running Debian 2.0 happily until earlier this evening, when I
ran dselect to upgrade my current packages.  After retrieving and
attempting to install the upgraded packages, however, something royally
screwed up and now I get a "can't open libncurses.so.4 - no such file or
directory" error everytime I try to do _anything_.  I can't even open a
shell, I tried booting into single-user mode -- in other words, I can't
even access my harddrive.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and successfully fixed it?

Any help greatly appreciated -- thanks in advance.
Eric