su: problem establishing environment

Hi

when I try to su (to root or a reg. user, even myself) I get the error:
su: problem establishing environment

the permission seems to be ok:
-rwsr-xr-x   1 root     root        16848 Mar 15 21:47 /bin/su

It works as root, however, dictd does not start on boottime due to this
problem.

Any ideas what could go wrong?

oh, btw. my su is the one from pam-apps:

ii  pam-apps        0.58-5         Pluggable Authentication Module enabled appl
ii  shellutils      1.16-6.3       The GNU shell programming utilities.

greetings
--
Alexander N. Benner - Nikodemus@innocent.com - Nikodemus@IrcNet #Ixthys

Um Recursion zu verstehen muss man sie entweder schon verstehen
oder Jemanden kennen der sie versteht.