Re: apt-get question

On Sat, Mar 20, 1999 at 03:38:07PM -0500, Will Lowe wrote:
> > What exactly do you mean "it rolls through every single package
> > on the dist"?  If you mean what it sounds like, you only have to
>
> I think what he means is that when you install from CD,  it rolls through
> the CD and checks every packages against the list of selections,  like:
> Skipping deselected package: bash
> Skipping deselected package: bang
> Skipping deselected package: beat
>
> 	Rather than just going to the packages it wants to install.
> I don't think that apt-get fixes this,  because apt-get doesn't let you
> install from CD.  The issue is really with dselect's CD install method.

Seeing as we're already on the subject...I've thought about a cd method for apt
before, currently I'm just using a file: method which is a bit of a paint as I
have to mount the cd first. Isn't such a method already planned? Such a method
would make nearly all of the dpkg methods obsolete.

--
Sarel Botha