Re: Debian and Kernel Releases

On 20 Mar 1999, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> If you follow the kernel mailing list you'll see that even the current
> 2.2.3 kernel still has quirks. On some machines here I can't even run
> it, the NFS server keeps dying. 2.0.36 is rock-stable.

That is only if you use the new kernel NFS. With user NFS (the same type
zs 2.0.36 uses) it is stable as well. And even then 2.2.x works fine on
the VAST majority of systems. There might be one or two out there but
overall 2.2 runs on a lot more systems than 2.0 does. 2.1 was the
development kernel, 2.2 is a stable release. It is a lot more stable than
2.0 was when it was released. We went to 2.0.6 in what, a week or two?