Re: SAMBA help.

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Paul Nathan Puri wrote:

> I need to know if I need to rename my network 'WORKGROUP' to be able to
> share drives and printers with windows.
> I've currently named my network 'natepuri.com.'  It's not a registered
> name, yet.  I'll register it when I get the money.

I don't believe this is valid.  This is not an internet domain it wants,
but rather, a lanman domain, I don't think it can contain '.'s

> Does samba require WORKGROUP?  Or is that just a variable for whatever I
> want to call my network.

Whatever you want, mine is called ASGARD.

> Presently all tcp/ip connections over my LAN are very function.  IP MASQ
> is functional as well.  However, I have the client section in the network
> window in the control panel set to 'Log on the Windows NT domain.'
> Previously I had the 'Windows NT domain:' set to 'natepuri.com,' that
> didn't work so I set it to 'WORKGROUP' and that didn't work.

You must change this in both SAMBA and in Win95, you also need to have in
your smb.conf the lines:

   domain master = yes
   domain logons = yes

> I had 'Access Control' set to 'User-level access control' and first had
> the list of users set to 'natepuri.com' then to 'WORKGROUP.'  Neither
> worked.

I can't yet get this part to work either.  Maybe eventually, does anyone
on the list have this working?

> I'm using 'client for microsoft networks.'  Samba is running in daemon
> mode.
> When I boot windows, it says 'cannot log on to Windows NT domain, some
> network services will be unavailable.' (or something like that).

This is probably due to it not thinking your SAMBA server is a domain
master for the domain you have told it to log in to.  Adding the two lines
above should fix that.  You will also need to give yourself a SAMBA
password:

man smbpasswd

> What am I doing wrong?  I've read the SMB HOWTO among others.  The issues
> above still confuse me...  Thanks...

try:

http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~djbrosem/sambahowto/Samba-Beginners-HOWTO.html

It's a work in progress, so not ready for prime-time yet, but I've got
some pretty positive feedback on it.  The package information for debian
needs to be updated, so don't treat it as gospel, just a word of caution.
The smb.conf file should do what you need, though, and AFAIK, it's the
only info on SAMBA that explains win95 configuration.

HTH

-Dano