Re: Pacakges

On Fri, Mar 19, 1999 at 11:40:22AM -0600, Craig T. Hancock wrote:

> Hello list does anyone use any unstable packages with the stable the
> reason I am asking is I do know that unstable means that they haven't
> been tested yet so I was thinking if trying some new versions of stuff
> but

That's a perfectly normal thing to do - have newer versions of a couple
of programs, with most of the system being stable.  Aside from the lack
of testing things should work reasonably well - the dependancy
information in the packages works across releases.

The main sticking point would be packages using glibc2.1 - they need you
to install glibc2.1, which is a bit dodgy in places at the moment.
Depending on how vital your system is, you might want to wait for that
to settle down a bit before installing it.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/