epic100 ethernet module with Debian 2.1

Problem: Couldn't install epic100 (etherpower II)
ethernet driver during debian2.1 standard
installation.

Installed debian2.1 from scratch and included the
epic100 ethernet driver. Got an error message
"Parameter documentation for this module is unavailable"

The next message was a prompt:-
"Please enter any command-line arguments for the epic100 module"

I simply pressed the {Enter} key and the installation apparently
suceeded.

On completion of the debian2.1 installation, including the
network configuration,  I rebooted
and the following bootup messages appeared:-

http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/epic100.html

eth0: SMC EPIC/100 (chip ID0005) at 0xdc00, IRQ 9, 00:e0:29:1b:69:f6
eth0: MII transceiver #3 control 3000 status 7809
eth0: Autonegotiation advertising 01e1 link partner 0001

This looks OK to this untrained eye, but when I logged in
and tried to run any internet command (eg ftp)
there was a long wait and then the message:-
    ftp: connect: No route to host.

Note that exactly the same installation procedure with other
ethernet drivers (eexpress and tulip) resulted in
working network connections.

Has anyone out there had similar problems with this module
and does anyone know of a fix or workaround (other than
replacing the cards in 25 workstations?)

TIA

Stuart

Stuart Cook
I.T.Services (St Luke's Campus)