file size limit in emacs20 on hamm

I just tried to edit a 25Mb text file in Emacs20 on a hamm system
with 128Mb of RAM.  I discovered that the end of the file is shown
on the screen (no X, raw ssh/telnet screen) as a structured lot of
question marks:

???????????
???????????????????????????????????????
??

and that an incremental search doesn't find something that grep
shows is there.

Anyone tell me about handling large files in Emacs20?

TIA,

Chris

PSYCTC: Psychotherapy, Psychology, Psychiatry, Counselling
   and Therapeutic Communities; practice, research,
   teaching and consultancy.
Chris Evans & Jo-anne Carlyle
http://psyctc.org/ Email: chris@psyctc.org