Re: -- MARK -- in /var/log/messages

*- On 17 Mar, Paul Lemmens wrote about "-- MARK -- in /var/log/messages"
> Hello everybody,
>
> I recently started wondering what the -- MARK -- lines in
> /var/log/messages represent. I cannot explain them logically, nor have I
> found a daemon that's responsible for these lines.
>
> Can anybody help out?

man syslogd

       -m interval
              The  syslogd  logs  a mark timestamp regularly. The
              default interval between two -- MARK -- lines is 20
              minutes.   This  can  be  changed with this option.
              Setting the interval to zero turns it off entirely.

It is a indicator to let you know the system is still alive.  This is
especially useful when monitoring remote servers, etc.

--
Brian
							   - unknown

Mechanical Engineering                                bservis@usa.net