Western digital ultra wide SCSI bus problems

Hi good people,
I am, (yes you've guessed it), another enthusiastic new user joining the
ranks in the exciting world of Linux, specifically the Debian verity.  I
have successfully installed the Debian 2.0.34 Kernel on several systems,
with the same HW configuration and patched them to 2.0.36 with SCSI
support without problems. I am now experiencing the following errors at
boot time on two of these machines for no readily apparent reason after
a system crash caused by me and not Debian:

SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) time out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid 0) time out - trying harder
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
 (SCSI 0:0:0) synchronous at 40.0 Mbytes / sec , offset 15
This text then repeats.

I first reinstalled Linux Debian back to 2.0.36 with no joy. I
substituted the suspected faulty SCSI disk into a known good Linux
system and got the same errors at boot, which cleared with own disk
back. I sent the disk back to the supplier who returned it having not
been able to find a fault, although it was tested using Windows 98 and
NT.  I ran the SCSI utility upon reinstallation of SCSI disk and all
appeared okay. I can see the disk and format it etc. But still no joy at
reboot, any suggestions.

My system configuration:
Pentium II 333 MHz with 512k L2 Cache. (no more cash on board).
256 MB DRAM.
Mother board Mantaray+ single P2 SBC  BX chipset SCSI VGA Ethernet.
Award System BIOS with PC'97 support
Adaptec AIC-7890 RISC SCSI Controller on the Mother board
Western digital 9.1 GB ultra wide SCSI HDD
Fujitsu 3.2 MB ultra DMA ide HDD (Main disk with Debian OS)
Panasonic ide CD ROM 32X
White Floppy drive 1.44 MB
On Mother board I/O SMC 37C932
Serial mouse and keyboard.
begin:vcard
n:Yates;Darren
tel;fax:+44 (0)1256 483591
tel;work:+44 (0)1256 483744
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:SONY Digital Network Solutions Europe;Platform & System Development
version:2.1
email;internet:Darren.Yates@sonydnse.com
title:Engineer   BEng (Hons) AMIEE
adr;quoted-printable:;;Jays Close=0D=0AViables;Basingstoke;Hampshire;RG22 4SB;United Kingdom
fn:Darren Yates
end:vcard