emacs20 slink problems

Hi folks,

	I think I am *still* getting bitten by the emacs19/emacs20
stuff.  I have purged both packages using dpkg, then removed the
/etc/emacs directory by hand (it was not removed by the purge), then
tried a fresh emacs20 install.  Error:

emacsen-common: byte-compiling for emacs20
cp: /etc/emacs/site-start.d/00debian-vars.el: No such file or
directory
emacs-install: /usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/install/emacsen-common
emacs20 failed at /usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-install line 28.

Have I done something wrong? Was /etc/emacs supposed to exist, even
with no emacs packages installed on a slink system?

Any help would be appreciated.

nathan

--
Nathan O. Siemers - Transcriptional Profiling, Bioinformatics -
Division of Applied Genomics - Bristol-Myers Squibb Pharmaceutical