Slink upgrade - problems with X.

I just upgraded to slink, and followed the instructions to delete xbase.
Lots of problems have resulted.

I am very confused by the new X stuff.

Startx wasn't installed, but I found it on the CDRom and installed it.

To get startx to work I had to make a link from /etc/X11/XF86Config to
/etc/XF86Config and another from /usr/X11R6/bin.XF86_SVGA to X.

But still I can't run startx as user, only as root.

I suspect that I'm doing this all wrong but I don't know where to find out
how to do it. I'm willing to RTFM but which FM?

Any pointers please?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell  -  running Linux Debian 2.0 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: www.achc.demon.co.uk/bookreviews/index.html

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald (Rubaiat of Omar Khayyam)