Beta-testing and the glibc 2.1 (Was: Missing ldd? Have libc6 on hold? Get ldso from slink...

On Sunday 14 March 1999, at 16 h 57, the keyboard of Robert Woodcock
<rcw@debian.org> wrote:

> Those of you who are tracking unstable but are too chicken to install the
> new glibc 2.1 may have noticed that your ldd has disappeared.

May be these chickens are people who have some work to do. These sarcasms or
those of Edward Betts will not convince people that Debian is a serious
distribution, intended for real work.

If you just mock people and tell them "Be prepared to die for unstable or stay
stable like the chicken you are", we will not get a lot of beta-testers. Like
Microsoft or RedHat, who perform beta-testing only internally, we will
therefore release half-broken stuff.

A phase of intermediary testing (intermediary between the Real Hacker and the
Pure Chicken) is a necessity to get a new version of an operating system out.
And we should respect people who do it.