Help."Can't log in as root"

Yes. Most strange I can't log in as root or "su" I have just upgraded to slink from hamm. Everything went pretty well, for some reason sash became my shell for root? (probably me using dselect - iused the multicd method. well not Knowing
sash (well not at all axcept that its pretty powewrful, i've logged out root bye typing "exit" which dropped me back to a console login prompt (so far so good )BUT....now i cant login as root! i can log in as any user but NO-ROOT! i keep
getting a quick messabe saying "su:cannot execute exit no file or directory" then it just
drops me back to the ansci login prompt?? it seems like a danferous feature
can it be remidied ??????

--
Regards,                     | Debian GNU/   __      o
<cooking@surfnetcity.com.au> |        ...because lockups are for convicts...

 ICQ #31866886

 WEB # www.surfnetcity.com.au/~cooking