Elm and sun mailtool attachments

I'm using the standard elm+me and metamail packages. Most attachments
seem to be handled OK, but recently a Sun user sent me something...when
I try to read it I get the following message:

   This message contains sun mailtool message.
   Do you want to view it using the '' command (y/n) [y] ?

Of course, since nothing has been specified answering either y or n
returns me to the main menu.

So...(1) Obviously, something recognizes that this isn't mime encoded,
         but is sun-encoded, and
     (2) There is some way of configuring this something to handle it...but...

What and how?

My guess is this is a feature of metamail but I have not had any luck
in finding how to specify how to handle this in /etc/mailcap via
documentation or guessing.

Rich.

--
Rich Pawlowicz
Oceanography, Dept. of Earth and Ocean Sciences, Univ. of British Columbia,