win-printer??

Hello all.

I have just recently successfully installed Debian 2.0 (Hamm) from the
disks in a book bought at Borders.

I have run into a problem with my HP Deskjet 722c printer, a printer I
am very happy with on the dos/w95 side of my box.

Apparently it is a win-printer which I did not know existed, i.e. it
depends on the operating system for some of its functionality.  So, no
printing from Linux.

I had heard once of a reverse engineering attempt to get a driver that
would work.  I'm trying again to find out if such an attempt has been
made, or maybe is successful.

But, I also am curious about the 'legality' of such a thing.  I'm
guessing it is legal, even if HP doesn't like it, since I'm assuming
the reverse engineering is being done to determine critical info such
that a driver can be written non-proprietarily from scratch.

I would be interested in anyone's thoughts on these matters.  Thanks.
msc