Why not Debian? (real-time proto with linux!)

My supervisor walked into my qube and started asking questions about
the computer in my office running linux.  He asked which version of
Linux it was running (debian? whats that?)  Seems that there is some
interest here in trying to use linux at least in a prototype here
because NT is to fragging big and CE is still not good enough.  Of
course he would like to use RedHat or Caldera (cause they offer
support?).  I said that they offer support in INSTALLING the os but
not for developing applications under it (not without additional
contract anyway?).

Are there any URL's out there with good articles praising Debian?  I'd
like some amo here to influence a decision on what distro we might try
to use.  (If I have to chose a commerical linux I guess RedHat is
better than caldera?).

Also, since we REALLY need the real-time kernel, does anyone know if
any .deb's of this are available?  (I already downloaded the 2.0.36
modified source for real time linux and built it on top of a RedHat
5.2 install.)

==
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze