qmail + mutt + fetchmail problems

Well I decided to install qmail upon suggestions from various people.  I
got the package source and compiled the .debs fine.  Then, upon reading
the docs, I found out that the "Maildir" format is preferred.  So I set
out to get that working in Pine.  No go.  I search the UW pages for info
and see messages saying that Pine doesn't support Maildir.  So, I research
some more and find out that Mutt do es support it and that it looks like a
good MUA.  A learning curve but that's fine.

In the /etc/init.d/qmail script what option should I use
(qmail-procmail,maildir or Mailbox?)  How should I copy my mbox mail to
the Maildir format? The qmail docs also suggest having a ~/Mailbox file
and then linking /var/spool/mail/$user to it.  Which I've done.  Does
anyone have a clear set of directions for moving from smail/pine to
qmail/mutt on a Debian system???

Now I am trying to get fetchmail working again.  The errors are listed
below and my .fetchmailrc is unchanged from when I was using the
smail/Pine programs for mail.

$fetchmail -K
2 messages for ian at challenge2 (3941 octets).
reading message 1 of 2 (1123 octets)
fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from challenge2
fetchmail: Query status=10

TIA.

-Ian
Ian Setford                                               ians@unt.edu

		PGP = F2 92 50 E3 CD D7 A2 D9  C4 CE 08 A6 98 E0 0F 58