sendmail broken

Sendmail seems to have broken with the last upgrade.  I get errors like:

Cannot open hash database /etc/aliases.db: Invalid argument
Warning: cannot open alias database /etc/aliases
Cannot create database for aliase file /etc/aliases

whenever I run newaliases.

Attempting to send mail results in 'user database error'...

Fetchmail now dies with:

fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from popaccount.com
fetchmail: Query Status = 10

Anybody else experience this problem?  I'm running a potato system, and
just upgraded to
libc6 2.1.  Sendmail was also just upgraded, as was libdb2 (which gave
me warinings about
overwriting files in libc6 package).  Any ideas about a fix for this?

I'm having to send mail from Netscape for now (usually use mutt).
However, I did get
mutt reconfigured to pop my mail directly,  so I can still follow the
lists.

--
Mike Merten
ironfoot@popaccount.com