Re: interesting

On 16-Mar-99 homega@vlc.servicom.es wrote:
> George Bonser dixit:
>>
>> http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,33762,00.html
>>
>> Looks like Caldera is building a nice linux install wizard ... called
>> lizard.  They say they might open-source it.
>
> They "might"?  I thought everything developed under Linux has to be
> GPL'ed, and thus open source!

Not so. You may develop any application or tool you wish on/under Linux
on a commercial basis and impose whatever licence conditions you like,
so long as this does not depend on GPL'ed code, and market it as you
please.

A lot of people have been doing just this for quite some time.

What you may not do is treat anything of GPL origin in this way: for that
you have to make the source available and you have to include the GPL
itself (or state clearly how it may be obtained).

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
Date: 16-Mar-99                                       Time: 11:59:39