Re: Remote Unix printer - Permissions

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, John Stevenson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running a linux print server that is working very nicely
> with win95 clients (using samba) but am having trouble
> connecting to the printer from linux clients.
>
> I have read the printing howto (see snippet below) and it refers
> to the /etc/hosts.lpd file, but I have know idea what the
> structure of this file is supposed to be.
I am not sure if this will help you but looking at the machine that we are
printing to, the contents of its file is

comic5 % more /etc/hosts.lpd
# /etc/hosts.lpd: list of hosts that are allowed to use the printing
#                 services of this machine.  See lpd(8).
# $Id: hosts.lpd,v 2.0 1994/06/30 17:14:15 imurdock Exp $
.ee.edu.za

Which I think means allow all machines with ips matching *.ee.edu.za.
Somehow this machines must appear in /etc/hosts.  Good luck - as I said I
do not know if it will be helpful but at least it shows the contents of
our /etc/hosts.lpd file

Daniel J. Mashao
Electrical Engineering                          daniel@comgate.ee.uct.ac.za
University of Cape Town	       	            http://www.ee.uct.ac.za/~daniel
Rondebosch, 7700, S. Africa         (w) 27+21+650 2816  (h) 27+21+705 8469