Upgrading 2.1 -> Potato

This is a wide open question and ideally I'd like to be pointed to a FAQ or
some other documentation.

Mainly I want to know the best way to upgrade from slink to potato.  I'm
quite knowledgeable about Debian (I've been using slink for a loooooong time
now) but the last time I tried it, the new glibc2.1 broke just about
everything (including dpkg/gzip!).  Is there a specific order in which I
should upgrade?

Would an apt-get upgrade to the unstable branch suffice?

Thanks!
R.
---
{ in fact, this is twice in a row
{ that the angels have slipped through our landslide
{ and filled up our garden with snow