Re: Slink upgrade and xwindows

On Mon, 15 Mar, 1999 à 01:37:58AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

> I sometimes wonder why I bother writing any documentation at all.  People
> will just ignore it and then chime in with profound insights like
>
> "THIS----------------------------------SUCKS!!!!!!!!"
>
> when anything changes.
>
> I have tried very hard to get the Debian XFree86 packages into a state
> where they reliably meet two goals:
>   1) they help out the user who doesn't know X inside and out
>   2) they stay out of the way of the user who knows exactly what he's doing
>
> Needless to say, they are far from perfect in achieving these ends, but if
> you have an argument that the X packages as they were a year ago when I
> took over maintainership were better at doing the above than they are now,
> I'd like to hear it.

There was a point that I liked before : the possibility to not start xdm even
if it was installed. Why ? Well sometimes I'm trying to advocates linux to
friends and showing them that you can have a graphical loggin just by replacing
no-start-xdm by start-xdm was more convincing than "just wait a few minutes
that I install xdm...". Not a big point but keeping this one could be nice.

I have an other problem with the upgrade : there are still packages dependant
on xbase on my system and I'm relunctant to spend about six hours to get these
by phone. I'm waiting for the release of the slink CD in France. Until this
time I'll have a wandering empty xbase just to satisfy dependancies of not
up to date packages : not a big deal.

--
 ( >-   Laurent PICOULEAU                                      -< )
 /~\       lcrpic@a2points.com                                  /~\