Re: PLEASE READ! IMPORTANT! ALL THE MEMBERS! PLEASE READ!

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Marshall Savage wrote:

>Filtering gets the email messages from the listserver into
>the correct separate email box.  However it does nothing
>for the overwhelming volumn problem which threading would
>considerably help.  Both web based discussion managers &
>news reader programs handle treading well.  For a group of
>this volume you would need a good discussion server & at
>least one public server that I know of just isn't up to the
>job.  It's to busy for good service.  I wonder why this
>listserver group hasn't long ago gone to a news/news server

I agree that threading is pretty much necessary for reading these lists,
but there is another reason I prefer that it stay with mail.  I suspect
(I have no data :) that because

1) a mailing list requires active subscription to use effectively

2) the mail is intrusive,

people are much more thoughtful about what they post.  With a news
group, it's so easy to send tons of crap without feeling (as) guilty.
The result is, this list stays on-topic comparatively well.  Also, and
this is not so persuasive, I keep up better because if I don't, I'll be
flooded very quickly.

					-Michael
P.S. Pine threads also (sort-of)

  Michael Stenner			Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics	  mstenner@phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305