Re: Two quick questions

In a message dated 3/15/99 3:26:24 PM Central Standard Time, dden@rollanet.org
writes:

> 1. Is Gnome a window manager for X, or is it a replacement for X?
>     (or it it something else?)

Gnome is more of an object handling system than anything.  I suppose you could
consider it a desktop environment.  YOu still need a separate window manager
to use it.

>  2. What is the advantage of using a kernel source package in .deb
>     format as opposed to a generic kernel source in tar.gz format?

The advantage is that you can remove it with a single command instead of
having to remove all the dirs by hand.  Also, you can upgrade easily and
prevent yourself from downgrading.

-Jay