Re: Installing Linux

At 07:16 PM 3/14/1999 -0400, Maria Helena Albornoz Vasquez wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a Linux beginner and I want to install Linux in my computer but I
> experienced some problem.
>
> I have a Pentium 133 Mhz, 32 Mb RAM with a 1.6Gb hard disk with Win95
> installed.
> The hard disk is yet partitionned (with the windows95 Fdisk) as follow :
> Primary partition      600 Mb    contains Win95 and other software
> 1st logical partition   600 Mb    contains users files
> 2nd logical partition  346 Mb    where I want to install Linux
> I can't backup my disk so I don't want to make a new partition, neither make
> a swap partition (Afraid to loose data).
>
> So I try to install Linux without the swap partition.
> When I want to install the linux Kernel, the system ask me for the
> resc1440.bin file. But when I put the rescue floppy or when I indicate the
> location of this file on the first partition /dev/hda1, then installation
> software answer "The attemp to open the resc1440.bin file failed" o something
> like this.
> What's happening ? I redownload this file in the case of being corrupted and
> I make new rescue disks but the problem still there.
>
> I have downloaded from the Debian FTP the image files resc1440.bin,
> drv1440.bin and the base2_1.tgz file in order to install from the DOS
> partition.
>
> Another thing : how can I print the hardware list that appears at the
> beginning of the installation software ?
>
> Your help will be welcome.
>
> Alex

Floppies are notorious for causing problems on an install. You did good to try
downloading the file again, but what I bet you need to do is to try a different
floppy. Use a good-quality floppy. I've known of at least one case where the
person installing Linux had to try four different floppies before getting one
to work properly, even though they all seemed to be good disks.

Concerning your question about the hardware list at the beginning of the
installation software, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Hope this helps.