Re: I've been cracked! (hamm, 2.0.35)

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, buns wrote:

> This is a bit off-topic.
>
> " Raymond A. Ingles" wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Don Erickson wrote:
> >
> > > Somebody (through jhb60.jaring.my) wandered into my system, set up a user
> > > account for themselves and set up a couple of programs, eggdrop and smurf.
>
> The address seem to indicate that the intruder originates from Malaysia.

 As does yours.

[...]
> > If you want some revenge, you can try reporting to the
> > sysadmins of the originating system, if you can actually identify it. :-/
>
> You may want to reconsider this "revenge". In Malaysia, there is this
> legislation (Computer Crimes Act 1997) which I consider absolutely
> draconian and the intruder if convicted is liable to either a fine (<
> RM50,000) or to imprisonment (<5 years) or to both.

 Well then:

 (A) the intruder should know better,

 (B) that actually sounds about right - I'd be extraordinarily peeved if
     someone broke into my computer, replaced binaries without my
     authorization, and then used my computer as a base for further
     attacks (you'll note from the original message that the intruder
     installed a "smurf" program), and

 (C) who knows if the intruder actually originated in Malaysia? He may
     have compromised a system there and be using it to cover his tracks.
     (Like I said, "...the originating system, if you can actually
     identify it.") Either way, the system administrators should be
     notified, right?

 I'm sorry, I don't have a lot of sympathy for crackers. See my .sig.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles       (248) 377-7735        ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

   "Destruction is *easy*. People do it all the time by accident.
     If you think you're so cool, try *improving* something."
                               - Me