Re: printcap, filtering, etc

Richard Harran <95rmwh@eng.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> 	# Magic filter setup file for HP DeskJet 500 series color
> 	# printers with only CMY cartridge installed.
> and my printer has black & CMY cartridges.  Is the filter using the
> colour cartridge to make black,

Probably not. The printer is intelligent enough to decide by itself
how to make black correctly.

However for my 600dpi output, I am currently using (for my 690C) the
extra 'hpdj' driver that is built into the Debian version of
Ghostscript (it is not a standard ghostscript driver). This driver has
a seperate manpage. This driver is probably the best general purpose
HP deskjet driver there is currently.
(see ftp://ftp.pdb.sni.de/pub/utilities/misc/hpdj.html)

If you want really good colour support you can use the hp850

http://www.erdw.ethz.ch/~bonk/software.html

driver. I think there is a gs-alladin package in project/experimental
that has this compiled in.

Unfortunately there seems to be no driver that supports the photo
cartridge.

Jan