RE: strange log messages/behavior

Hello,
As i read your message i realized you're stuck with the same problem as i
do for some time on hamm, without finding a solution. That's why I launched
a similar cry for help a few days ago, without any luck until now....

Here's a copy of my original message:

Hi,
While I installed Linux some time ago with a lot of 'trial and error', I
got things working finally, Including xdm and kdm, on an old Deskpro386, 20
Mhz, 12 Mb memory with SVGA card, .
Two curious things keep me bothering from the beginning, however:
* Sometimes, even during or just after starting the machine, at one of the
virtual terminals, there is a message saying "INIT respawning to fast,
disabled for 5 minutes". Logging in on that vt is then impossible, trying
on another vt gives me the same strange message. Only one solution: power
off, restarting 'dirty' and hoping for better lucks this a
hardware-dependent problem or a configuration error ?
* Sometimes, after playing around for a while on the machine, if some
command gives me an error, subsequent commands  (whatever it is) produce
only one output: 'Segmentation fault'. From that moment, there is only one
solution: restarting the machine, the 'dirty way'.

I hope some Linux-guru can give a little advice to solve these
'destabilizing' phenomena.
TIA