Re: remote printing permissions

On 14 Mar, Alec Smith wrote:
> You can use individual IP addresses -- Mine is
>
> 130.108.229.31
> 130.108.229.32
>
> You can also use something like 130.108.229 to indicate that an entire
> subnet has access. The general format is something similar, but not
> identical to hosts.allow/hosts.deny.
>
> Other than that, there really isn't all that much.
>
> Be sure and restart lpd after editing this file... In /etc/init.d do a
> ./lpd restart Without doing this, your changes will not take effect until
> the machine is rebooted.
>

> Alec
>

> On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 wax_man@bellsouth.net wrote:
>
>> On 14 Mar, Alec Smith wrote:
>> > Take a look at /etc/hosts.lpd

>> What is the format of that file supposed to be?  I can't find much on
>> it, so I guessed and just listed the ip addr of the machines I wanted
>> to allow.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Chris
>>

>> --

Ok, I created the file, and then ran /etc/init.d/lprng restart.  I'm
still getting the connect errors.  Here is the exact error:
no connect permissions
job <job name> tranfer to hpdj672c@192.168.1.1 failed

This error came from netscape.  I tried to print from xemacs, but
nothing came out.  I can't find an error in any of the logs I looked
at, but I'm not overly sure where that kind of error would be logged.

Anyway, does lprng work differently from lpd in the lpr package?  Or is
there something that I"m missing here?

Thanks,

Chris

P.S.

Here is my /etc/printcap file on the linux box I'm trying to print from.

#
# Copyright (c) 1983 Regents of the University of California.
# All rights reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
# provided that this notice is preserved and that due credit is given
# to the University of California at Berkeley. The name of the University
# may not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
# software without specific prior written permission. This software
# is provided ``as is'' without express or implied warranty.
#
#	@(#)etc.printcap	5.2 (Berkeley) 5/5/88
#
# This file was generated by /usr/sbin/magicfilterconfig.
#
#lp|hpdj672c|HP Deskjet 672C:\
#	:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hpdj672c:\
#	:sh:pw#80:pl#66:px#1440:mx#0:\
#	:if=/etc/magicfilter/dj550c-filter:\
#	:af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:
lp|hpdj672c|HP Deskjet 672C:\
	:lp=/dev/null:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hpdj672c:\
	:rm=192.168.1.1:\
	:rp=hpdj672c:\
        :sh: