Re: Slink upgrade and xwindows

*- On 14 Mar, George Bonser wrote about "Re: Slink upgrade and xwindows"
> On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 servis@purdue.edu wrote:
>
>> xdm was installed on your system before.  It was part of the old xbase
>> package.  The reason xdm was sucked in during the upgrade was that
>> because xbase was split into several different packages it was
>> impossible to determine which components of it were being used before
>> the upgrade.  So all components that were part of xbase were Required
>
> The trouble is that if I try to remove xdm in dselect, it tries to remove
> xbase as well. I think xdm should maybe depend on xbase but I really don't
> think it should be the other way around. I understand why this might have
> been done ... the tradeoff being that there would be more complaints if
> XDM went away than if it suddenly appeared but I wish I could get rid of
> it without making dselect scream about xbase all the time.

Go ahead and remove xbase.  As the package description for xbase says:

 Between Debian 2.0 ("hamm") and 2.1 ("slink") the XFree86 packages were
 extensively reorganized; this package exists solely to smooth the
 transition for people upgrading from Debian 2.0 or earlier.
 .
 Once this package has been installed it may be removed at any time; it
 contains no programs, libraries, or documentation.
 .

--
Brian
							   - unknown