Re: ICQ for Linux

On 15-Mar-99 Mark Phillips wrote:

>> P> of the find ICQ clones?  I use Licq, but kicq and kxicq are also
>> P> good ICQ clones for UNIX and Linux.
>>
>> My suggestion is gtkicq. Relly nice thing. It is packaged for slink.
>
> I have just downloaded gtkicq.  It asked for registering information
> (I haven't used it before), and it appeared to register me --- ie in
> "User Info" it says that I have a UIN number, but when I try and
> search for my number (or any of my other details), it can't seem to
> find it.
>
> Now it seems I can locate other users, and I've been able to send
> messages (haven't yet been able to chat), but other users can't locate
> me!  What's happening?

I recall this happened to me, so I found a dotfile with ls -al and this
dotfile was for gtkicq; It was not *my* ICQ number but that of another person.
I removed this record and restarted gtkicq, at which time I was prompted for
my own information.

I gave my e-mail address when I registered and I got no junk mail.  You can
remove it after you register, if you wish.  I have gotten spams from some
of the lists to which I subscribe, but not from ICQ.

--
Andrew

[PGP5.0 Key ID 0x5EE61C37]