Re: Slink upgrade and xwindows

*- On 14 Mar, George Bonser wrote about "Re: Slink upgrade and xwindows"
> On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, William Lacy wrote:
>
>> I think that installing xdm and xfs as part of the upgrade is a very bad
>> idea for several reasons:
>>
>> 1)	This is a very big change to my system, I have never had these
>> packages before- I wanted an upgrade on what I had.  		This is a
>> fundamental change in how my system works that I didn't ask for or want.
>

> I agree. After upgrade I saw an XDM login appear ... I did not even want X
> running on that machine at that time. It is mostly an unattended server
> but I do keep X on it and use it about 1-2 times/year. I thought it was a
> pretty arrogant decision on the part of Debian. Just because I put X on
> it, you are going to FORCE me to use it????

xdm was installed on your system before.  It was part of the old xbase
package.  The reason xdm was sucked in during the upgrade was that
because xbase was split into several different packages it was
impossible to determine which components of it were being used before
the upgrade.  So all components that were part of xbase were Required
by the dummy xbase package.  If dselect was used to do the upgrade it
would have shown all the depenencies to you and you could have
unselected the components you did not need.  Below is the package
listing for the xbase dummy package which describes the reasoning and
shows the dependencies.  Don't get mad at Branden, by splitting the
X packages up he is making the X Window System much easier to manage.

Package: xbase
Section: x11
Installed-Size: 44
Maintainer: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Source: xfree86
Version: 3.3.2.3a-11
Depends: rstart, rstartd, twm, xbase-clients, xdm, xfree86-common, xfs, xlib6g (
>= 3.3.2.3a-11), xlib6g-dev (>= 3.3.2.3a-11), xmh, xproxy, xserver-common, xsm,
xterm
Filename: dists/stable/main/binary-i386/x11/xbase_3.3.2.3a-11.deb
Size: 29516
MD5sum: 40a6e49c2735dcd8b4c22f909bea4f0d
 Between Debian 2.0 ("hamm") and 2.1 ("slink") the XFree86 packages were
 extensively reorganized; this package exists solely to smooth the
 transition for people upgrading from Debian 2.0 or earlier.
 .
 Once this package has been installed it may be removed at any time; it
 contains no programs, libraries, or documentation.
 .
 For the technically curious, this package exists solely to declare
 dependencies on the packages among whom the old xbase package's files were
 distributed.  The new packages are auto-selected by apt or dselect as a
 result, and the X Window System is properly upgraded.
 .
 Additionally, the X font and static library packages have been renamed.

--
Brian
							   - unknown

Mechanical Engineering                                bservis@usa.net