Re: I can't beleive this

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, ivan wrote:

> Again I would like to suggest that the install could be made much easier
> with a couple of (not necessarily simple) changes.  For instance, providing
> a kernal with SB16/AWE32/AWE64 support already present and working.  Same
> also with PPP which most people want - if they didn't have modems they
> wouldn't be on the net and so, probably, wouldn't have discovered Linux
> anyway.

Or the Red Hat install could be copied but there is probably some NIH
issues to overcome in the Debian camp.

> During the install itself there are too many packages being put on the
> system IMHO.  Why not install just ae (or joe or ee or ...) instead of all
> of these "easy to use editors" plus emacs plus vi plus xemacs ?  Why not,
> if a X type setup has been chosen just install Netscape (plus maybe Lynx)
> instead of NS, Lynx, Mozilla, W3 etc ...  These sorts of examples just go
> on and on.

I have never seen emacs install cleanly on an initial install in what ...
the last three releases.  Since nobody here uses it anyway, I just make
sure it is deleted from the initial install.  Just did a clean install
yesterday for someone ... emacs would not install properly, they didn't
want emacs so off it came.

Debian is designed to be a superset distro ... or at least it USED to be.
It is designed to allow you to create a new distro BASED on Debian that
includes a subset of the available packages.