can't use RAM > 64 MB with 2.2.3 kernel

Using Debian 2.0r4 and kernel 2.2.3 I am getting problems if I use my
second 64 MB RAM Dimm module. I tested it with both modules so there isn't
a faulty one involved. I had the same problems with kernel 2.0.34 (using
the kernel parameter "mem=128M") and thought an upgrade would help since it
was announced that the 2.2 kernels should have a better memory support.

If I plug in the second module the following message lines appear at boot
time:

p -> mh_magig4 == 0x55555555
Stopping myself ...

There could be several of such messages during the boot stage. The worst
happens if I shutdown the system. After the line

INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

the shutdown process hangs and only the power button helps to bring the
system down. Two times I had to reinstall everything from scratch since this
behaviour led to a corrupt filesystem.

I suspect that the culprit is a part of non supported or insufficient
supported hardware. I list therefore the hardware I am using. Hopefully
someone has an idea whats going on, I am puzzled.

BXi(e)98-ATX motherboard
2 x 186 Pin DIMM modules 64 MB
Adaptec 2940UW
IBM HD UW
Sony SCSI CD-ROM
PCI Ethernetcard RTL8130
PCI S3 Virge Graphicadapter

AMI BIOS HIFLEX SETUP UTILITY v. 1.20E (1998)

Some BIOS Settings:

All APM options are disbled
System Bios Cachable     Disabled
Any Shadow RAM is disabled
No Plug & Play aware O/S

There are some memory options I left untouched since I don't know their
meaning as

L1/L" Cache Write Back
Configure SDRAM Timing 		ENabled
Dram Integrity mode Non-ECC