dosemu troubles: permissions & a missing cursor

I've run into two problems running dosemu.

(1) I can't start dosemu in an X-window or use the modem unless I'm running
as root, this despite the fact I have "all c_all" permissions in the user
config file.  (Before upgrading to v. 98.1 I could run in X, but I'm not
sure about the modem.)

(2) When I open a session in a 3270 emulator package I use (IBM passport
for dos), the cursor becomes invisible.  (The cursor is visible when I
first fire up the program, before opening a terminal session.)  I've looked
at video settings for running under X, but I can't see any options that
look like a potential fix.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Curt Daugaard
cld@mcs.net